By using the deep penetrating heat from basalt stones during massage therapy, the body is able to bring about a healing response by balancing itself on all the levels of being – emotional, mental, physical and spiritual. The stones are formed from volcanic lava, enabling them to retain their heat. Various shapes and sizes of stones are used to create an effect on the different parts of the body and thus, in a flowing and continuous movement, bring about the feeling of wellbeing and harmony.
Subjects included with in the course:
- History and Theory of Hot Stones
- Stones Used, Working with the Stones
- Theory of Massage
- Massage Movements and Their Effects
- Anatomy & Physiology --- Elementary
- Contra-Indications and Safety advice
- Oils that can be used
- Massage routine and techniques.
Exit level outcomes:
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to:
- Perform a massage treatment
- Have the necessary knowledge pertaining to work ethics and professionalism
Entry level requirements:
- Grade 10
- Although you should be able to complete this course in 3 months, open learning gives you the flexibility to study at your own pace within a 1 year period. As part of this course you must attend 9 practical class hours at the college.
- 25 massage case-studies
- Practical assessment